Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Frequently Asked Questions fall into the following categories:
- What is the Scheme all about?
- What does ‘bonding’ mean?
- Do I have to be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident to qualify for the Scheme?
- I am a new graduate who would like to join the Scheme, how do I know if I qualify?
- My last year of study was 2010, but I had my graduation ceremony in 2011. Can I apply for the 2012 Scheme as a 2011 graduate?
- What are the approved specialties for the 2012 intake?
- What are the approved communities for the 2012 intake?
- I'm a graduate doctor and have completed the first two years of my post graduate training. I intend to train as a GP, can I register on the VBS?
- I graduated in 2012 and would like to participate in the Voluntary Bonding Scheme but also want to take a year off before working in my profession. Can I do this?
- I am registered on the Scheme, but I am currently taking parental leave. How does this affect me?
- Do I qualify for the Scheme if I work part-time?
- What happens if I want to change jobs? Am I still eligible?
- What happens if I want to relocate within New Zealand? Am I still eligible?
- I was accepted on to the Scheme in 2010, but the community I am working in has been removed from the hard-to-staff list for 2011 – am I still eligible?
- If I take leave, will that affect my eligibility with the Scheme?
- What if I want to leave the Scheme after three years, but before five years?
- Southland and Otago DHBs merged on 1 May 2010, what does this mean for me?
- What are the Scheme payments, and when are they paid?
- How do I apply for the Scheme payments?
- How are the Scheme payments made?
- How will my bonding payments affect my Working for Families payments?
More about the Scheme
To find out more about the scheme Read the Terms and Conditions for each intake year:
- Terms and Conditions - 2012 Intake (2011 Graduates)
- Terms and Conditions - 2011 Intake (2010 Graduates)
- Terms and Conditions - 2010 Intake (2009 Graduates)
- Terms and Conditions - 2009 Intake (2005 – 2008 Graduates)
Or, for any other questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.